Thursday, March 12, 2009

How Long Does it Take to Knit a Pair Of Socks, Anyway?

I decided earlier this month to knit a pair of socks a month. The green socks would be for March. I'm still on the first sock and I've just turned the heel. I'd also started a pink lace sock for February and it's at the spot where I need to start the heel. And then there are January's socks. Those are a bit further along. All I have to do now is the toe.

But still. I have three partially finished socks. And each one is the first one of a pair. I'm also working on preemie hats (see my Knitting for Peace blog, ) but last week-end I was only able to complete three of them and that was a four-day week-end for me. I can't knit on my way to work (I drive myself) and I can't knit at work either. Yes, many librarians are knitters, but no, we don't knit at the reference desk. My lunch is usually 15 minutes between shifts so there's no time there either. Mornings are filled with housework and by the time I get home I'm often too tired to concentrate on knitting. That leaves my week-ends, but they're starting to fill up with chores and other projects. Spring is coming soon and I'll want to garden.

So where does this leave me? I work best under pressure so perhaps I'll set myself a goal. Finish the January socks (both of them) by the end of March. Finish the February and March socks in April. Then I'll only be one month behind. Or perhaps I should just set aside my goal of knitting a pair of socks every month.

I don't really know how many hours it takes me to knit a pair of socks. It depends on how complicated the pattern is and how often and how much I have to tink. One thing I'll try to do is keep track of how long it takes me to knit the second January sock and then I'll be able to decide if this sock-of-the-month idea will work. In the meantime, I'll just knit.

Here is a photo of the yarns I've chosen for my sock-of-the-month, January through June.

No comments:

Post a Comment