Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alternatives to Stockinette

The Murder Mystery socks are plain stockinette and are very boring to knit. I've finished the first one and started the second, but I'm just not enthusiastic about finishing them. However, I am compulsive determined and have a high need to finish what I start so I shall.

I had begun knitting the Robin's Nest socks in stockinette, also in a self-striping yarn, but ripped it out and began knitting it in a K3, P1 rib. This is much better and going faster than I expected. It's easy without being dull.

I'm making a list of alternatives to stockinette when I don't want to knit a complex stitch pattern. Here are variations on a theme:

K1(tbl),P1 (this is the pattern I used for my Cool River socks)
********************
K2(tbl),P2
********************
K3(tbl),P2

And here are some others:
Rnd: 1:*K1, sl1, k1, yo, psso, yo, K1*
Rnd: 2: *K*
********************
Rnd 1: *K4, p1; rep from *
Rnd 2: *K3, p2; rep from *
Rnd 3: *K2, p3; rep from *
Rnd 4: *K1, p4; rep from *
********************
Rnd 1: *K3, P3*
Rnd 2: *K1, P1*
*******************
Rnd 1: *P1, K2tog, K2, (K1, yo, K1) in next st, K2, ssk, P1*
Rnd 2: *P1, K9, P1*
(See photo here.)

If you know of any other stitch patterns which may be good additions, please add them to the comments. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. My go to sock pattern is the Blueberry Waffle sock - Ravelry has it. I've been kniting it since I discovered it - 1999 or so.

    goes like this: 2 rows of 2 by 2 ribbing
    2 rows of plain knit.

    Repeat until the cuff is long enough. I seldom run the pattern down the instep. I like it smooth.

    ReplyDelete