Saturday, January 28, 2017

Thinking Ahead to February Socks

I haven't quite finished my January socks, but I'm  already planning ahead to my February ones.
I have divided them into three types:

1. Insomnia Socks.  This is a series I began a few years ago and will continue. (See here and here and here).  I knit them when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep.  They are mostly stockinette stitch--I need something that will lull me back to sleep, not get me agitated or upset because I've messed up the pattern--and a bright, self-patterning yarn.
2. Just-a-Bit Socks.  These are the socks I work on when I have just a bit of time--sitting in the passenger seat when John is driving us to town to shop and do errands, while waiting for the kettle to boil for  tea, sitting in a doctor or dentist waiting room, a few rounds during my lunch break at work.   These socks require a pattern that is easy to memorize.
3. Challenge Socks.  They don't have to be extremely challenging; knitting, after all, is supposed to be FUN!  But it's good to have something with a little bit of a challenge--lace or cables maybe, which requires me to keep track on a chart.  I knit these when I have an hour or two in the evenings, sitting by the fireplace with a cup of tea (which often turns cold), listening to Bach or the Gee's Bend gospel singers or an audio-book.

And I do love listening to audio-books as I knit.  These are some titles I have lined up:

The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes
At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler 
All Dressed in White by Tami Hoag and Alafair Burke

I still haven't chosen the yarns or the patterns or the names for my February socks, but I will soon and you'll be among the first to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment