Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Good Day to Wear Wool Socks


I recently came across this essay, A Brief History of Socks and Hand-knitted Footwear, which I found fascinating to read. There was recent post on the knitlist as well, signed "Maggie in IL" who reminded us that many years ago almost all hand knit socks were made of wool and people knew to wear them with shoes and to darn holes and thin spots. She reminds us that yes, 100% wool socks do need to be hand washed and that the tighter the knit the better the wearing.

It's a cold, dark, wet, and dreary Oregon autumn day and I'm working late today and so this morning I put on a pair of handknit socks ; specifically the Go Beavs! socks I finished recently, with an orange pullover and a black skirt. My feet are very, very happy that I did.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting essay! Especially as I come from here. (Britain, that is!). I'm really rather proud to be carrying on these historical traditions :)

    ReplyDelete